Looking for an honest review of Butcher Box online meat delivery? I’m sharing the cost, how it works and if it Butcher Box is worth it!
If you’ve been following me for awhile, you likely hear me talk about ButcherBox. However, if you’re new to me, you may wonder what ButcherBox is all about. I’ve been using ButcherBox online meat delivery service for 2 years and I feel I am well able to give you the pros and cons of ButcherBox. My hope is to answer all your ButcherBox questions below so you can decide if it’s for you!
What is Butcher Box?
ButcherBox is an online meat delivery service that delivers grass fed beef, free range chicken, heritage pork, salmon and more directly to your door. All their meat is free of antibiotics and hormones, pasture raised and it arrives boxed in dry ice so you can simply toss transfer it to your freezer and defrost when you’re ready to eat!
Is Butcher Box Worth It?
The question of whether or not Butcher Box is worth it is one I often receive. Truthfully, with how crazy 2020 has been my clients have found it to be their lifeline. Stores with no meat or minimal meat and the general avoidance of going out to stores has made ButcherBox very attractive to many, myself included!
Before I share with you the cost, quality and convenience details about ButcherBox I do want to share that ButcherBox has a limited time offer that will be going away soon. When you join ButcherBox today, you get free grass-fed ground beef for life!
Butcher Box Discount Code
Yes – I have a special offer for you! Join Butcher Box today and get free grass-fed beef for life! Click here to join.
How do you order Butcher Box?
Ordering ButcherBox for the first time can be confusing. When you sign up as a new member, you can choose a curated box where the meats are pre-selected for you OR you can choose a custom box, which means you get to choose what meats you want. After you choose the box you want (curated or custom), you choose whether you want a classic box or a big box.
- Classic Curated Box feeds 2-4 people or 24 meals
- Big Curated Box feeds 4-8 people or 48 meals
- Classic Custom Box feeds 2-4 people or 30 meals
- Big Custom Box feeds 4-8 people or 60 meals
The first time you order, you will be asked for your email address and then you will choose if you want a curated or custom box, next you will select if you want the classic or big box. If you choose a custom box, you will be prompted to select the cuts of meat you want.
We purchase the classic custom box for the two of us. We prefer the custom as we tend to eat more chicken than beef and as a food blogger, I need the flexibility to cook specific things. I have the cost breakdown of each below.
ButcherBox Members Deals + Free Meat
After you select your box, the box size and meat cuts, ButcherBox gives you the opportunity to add member deals or free meats. When you join ButcherBox, you get free grass-fed ground beef. This is the current promotion and that means every box you order going forward, you can add the free meat! ButcherBox also offers members the opportunity add other promotions to their orders that are going on at that time.
Butcher Box Shipping
When you’re ready to checkout your ButcherBox order, you then select your preferred shipping date from their calendar. This way you can it work with your schedule. At that time, you will also select the frequency you want your meat delivered. We have our ButcherBox delivered every 2-3 months.
ButcherBox will email you 5 days before your shipment. At that time, you can select a different shipping date OR you can push your date out into the future. It’s really flexible and that’s one of my favorite things about ButcherBox.
All ButcherBox shipments arrive boxed in dry ice so the meat is frozen. I live in Arizona and I’ve only once experience a box that arrived not frozen. I contacted ButcherBox customer service and they sent me a replacement box out right away FREE OF CHARGE. Their service is impeciable!
What’s the Cost of ButcherBox?
The cost of Butcher Box is it depends on the box and box size you select. Butcher Box has options that range in cost from $129-$270.
I purchase the classic custom box every 3 months for $150. That’s $50 a month and a HUGE savings compared to purchasing at Costco or the stores for the quality of the meat you’re getting.
- Curated Box (ButcherBox Selects the Meats for you)
- Classic Box: $129/month, 8-11 lbs meat
- Big Box: $238/month, 16-22 lbs meat
- Custom Box (you select the meats you want)
- Classic Box: $149/month, 9-14 lbs meat
- Big Box: $270/month, 18-26 lbs meat
You can select if you want:
- Mixed Box (Beef, Chicken, Pork)
- Beef & Pork
- Beef & Chicken
- All Beef
- Custom Box
The first 4 options are pre-selected and you can’t pick the cuts of meat you get. The Custom Box is the only option where you get to select what type of meat you want.
Butcher Box Review
I love Butcherbox for many reasons and this is why I recommend it!
Pros of Butcher Box
- Quality – I 100% believe what the meat eats you eat! ButcherBox meat is grass-fed/grass-finished, pasture raised, hormone free and heritage breed pork. Most store-bought meat is grass-fed, but NOT grass-finished. This means the animal likely started out eating grass pellets then finished on soy and corn feed (grain-finished). It’s a marketing trick that not many people are aware of. ButcherBox is transparent about this which as a nutritionist I love!
- Cost Effective – As a food blogger, I shop for food a lot and nothing beats the cost and quality of ButcherBox that I’ve found. I talk more about this below!
- Convenient – I love that the box arrives with all the meat frozen and ready to go in my freezer. I never have to shop store to store and watch for sales to get discounts. All my meat is delivered to my front door and it makes my meal planning much easier!
Cons of Butcher Box
- Small Seafood Variety – ButcherBox has salmon and scallops, but I wish they offered more. I hear they are working on this! I personally eat a lot of seafood (2-3 times per week) so I buy salmon from ButcherBox and still order a Paleo box seafood box from Sizzlefish because I eat so much!
- Packaging – I mentioned above that one time my box arrived not frozen. I live in Phoenix and it was 115 that day so it is to be expected given where I live. Like I said, I was highly impressed with ButcherBox‘s customer service and getting a new box out to me right away FREE OF CHARGE.
ButcherBox Compared to Costco
Costco meat is cheaper, but NOT the same quality as ButcherBox because it’s conventional meat. Even though it states it’s organic, it is NOT the same quality. Conventional meat is no doubt lower in cost, but I truly believe what the animal eats, you eat and that making an investment in high quality meat, is an investment in your long-term health.
Costco vs. ButcherBox
- Costco Beef vs. ButcherBox – Costco organic beef is not grass-fed grass-finished. This means the animal was likely fed grass pellets and was not pastured-centered – meaning they were free to roam. It also means they were not grass-finished which means the animal was given soy and corn at the end which limits health benefits. ButcherBox beef is pasture-centered grass-fed and grass-finished.
- Costco Chicken vs. ButcherBox – Costco organic chicken is not pasture-centered like ButcherBox. In my opinion, allowing the animal to freely roam is important vs. being locked in a cage.
- Costco Pork vs. ButcherBox – ButcherBox heritage breed pigs are pasture-centered meaning they’re free to roam and they are fed a nutritious diet. Their bacon and other pork products are not cured or stuffed with nitrates or fillers. Costco does not have pasture-centered pork options where I live nor uncured bacon.
Can You Cancel ButcherBox?
You can easily cancel or pause your ButcherBox. We paused ours a few months last summer when we were on vacation July/August and it was very easy to do. You can also pause your shipment, or delay it! There’s no contract when you sign up with them.
Is Butcher Box Worth It?
I personally believe for the price, quality and convenience that ButcherBox is worth it. I haven’t been able to find this quality of meat at this price point locally and like I said, what the animal eats – you essentially are eating so to me, that’s worth it for your long-term health!
Please note this post is NOT sponsored, but I am an affiliate of ButcherBox. I only share products with you that I am TRULY passionate about and that I purchased with my own money.