Healthy Green Bean Casserole made low calorie, gluten free and lower carb from scratch, without processed ingredients in under 30 minutes! A creamy and flavorful side perfect for the holidays or anytime of year. Low Carb + Gluten Free + Low Calorie with a dairy free option!
Thank goodness for nourishing food, family and good friends that remind me what’s important in life! It’s been a sad week with my best friend being in a car accident and her husband passing in the accident.
With Thanksgiving coming up, the reminder of how important friends and family are couldn’t come at a better time. And what better than a Healthy Green Bean Casserole to celebrate thankfulness?
I must admit, I was never a fan of the original recipe. Too many processed ingredients and something about a can cream of mushroom soup makes my stomach do jumping jacks. This gluten free green bean casserole is made from scratch with nutrient dense ingredients!
Healthy Green Casserole
This healthy green bean casserole is a lower calorie version of a traditional holiday favorite that’s nutritionally balanced. Many recipes will say “low calorie” but the macronutrients (protein, fat and carbs) are not well balanced. I really work hard to not only make my recipes calorie conscious, but also make them balanced.
This lighter green bean casserole recipe mirrors the traditional in flavor and texture, only it’s a whole lot better for you and equally delicious! Here’s a few more reasons why I love this healthy green bean casserole recipe:
- Low Calorie – There’s 4 servings. Each one (or 1/4 of the recipe) is 112 calories.
- Higher Protein – Greek yogurt is used as the base instead of canned cream of mushroom soup. The Greek yogurt significantly increases the protein to 7 grams per serving. That’s a good amount of protein for a vegetarian dish.
- Low Carb – I talk about in this free training being carb conscious and why that is so important for women over 35. Total carbs are 12 grams per serving and the fiber is 3 grams so net carbs are 9.
- Moderate Fat – Total fat is 5 grams, 1 of which is saturated (less ideal) fat. The remaining is healthy fat.
- Gluten Free – The recipe is made with gluten free ingredients.
- Vegetarian – This recipe is vegetarian friendly.
Ingredients for Healthy Green Bean Casserole
Here’s what you need to make the BEST healthy green bean casserole. The best part? You can make it under 30 minutes. YEAH! You will also need a casserole dish like this one and a pan.
- Green Beans
- Greek Yogurt
- Almond Milk, unsweetened
- Vegetable Broth, low sodium
- Almond Flour
- Tapioca Flour or Corn Starch
- Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper
How To Make Low Carb Green Bean Casserole
Here are the steps to make this green bean casserole recipe! Start by cleaning and trimming your green beans. Next boil them in a large pot of water until al dente. I recommend only boiling for 3-5 minutes so they don’t get mushy. After boiling, drain the green beans in a colander and place in a baking dish.
The next step is to make the sauce. Add the broth, Greek yogurt, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a large saucepan at medium heat. Stir constantly 2-3 minutes the reduce to low heat and add the corn starch. Stirring the entire time until it thickens.
Turn off the heat and pour the mixture over the green beans and top with parmesan cheese then bake! You can boil for a few minutes to get the top crunch, but this is optional. Serve the casserole warm out of the oven and store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Substitutions For Healthy Green Bean Casserole
Here’s the substitutions you can make for this green bean casserole recipe. As always, substitutions or additions will change the nutrition data you see in the recipe card below.
- Greek Yogurt – I recommend low fat Greek yogurt for this recipe. Cottage cheese can be substituted for the Greek yogurt. If dairy does not work for you, you can do a dairy free yogurt instead. This will lower the protein and increase the fat. Dairy free yogurts tend to be higher fat and lower protein.
- Corn Starch – Tapioca flour or arrowroot powder can be substituted. You do need one of those in the recipe to use as a thickening agent.
- Almond Milk – I used unsweetened. Any milk may be used with this recipe.
- Vegetable Broth – I used low sodium vegetable broth. You can use bone broth, chicken broth or beef broth.
- Parmesan – This is optional, but is the proverbial “icing on the cake” for this recipe. If you are dairy free, nutritional yeast would be a good substitute.
Healthy Green Bean Casserole
Healthy Green Bean Casserole made low calorie, gluten free and lower carb from scratch, without processed ingredients in under 30 minutes! A creamy and flavorful side perfect for the holidays or anytime of year.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
Boil the green beans in a pot of water about 15 minutes until tender. Drain the green beans in a colander and transfer the green beans to the baking dish.
Turn off the heat and pour the mixture over green beans. Sprinkle the top with almond meal and cheese.
Bake at 350 F 10 minutes then turn the oven to broil (high). Broil another 2-3 minutes until the top slightly browned. Serve warm out of the oven!
Store the green bean casserole in a container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
- Each serving is 1/4 of the recipe.
- See substitutions part of the blog post for substitute recommendations.
- My Amazon shop has more products similar to those used for this recipe and that I recommend to my weight loss clients.
- If you enjoy this recipe, check out my cookbook for more delicious recipes.
Love my recipes?
Check out my cookbook!