Hi 🙂 How's your Monday going? I'm so relaxed and refreshed from this Easter weekend. Much different from how I was feeling last week when I returned from Wisconsin. Ok, let's be real. Last week sucked. I was so stressed mostly because of work. I could feel my blood pressure boiling all week. No bueno [not good]. By the end of the week, things did take a turn for the better and my stress was under control. Stress is so bad for your health. I must find a way to not let it get to me.
Last week I had deadlines with no wiggle room. I was told the work was being done while I was away, but it wasn't. It was a mad scramble getting things back on track & turned in on time. After I returned from Wisconsin, the stress of my Mom's heart surgery and what had transpired these last weeks hit me like a dump truck. I was already dealing with my own emotional rollercoaster and didn't need the added stress of work. It was too much.
Once again I was thankful to have my fitness to take out my frustration and relax. #fitnessismystressrelief
Besides working out, I did a little (<--a lot of) shopping this weekend to burn off my residual stress. #shopaholic
First stop Target. Can someone explain to me how this happens every time I go there? My theory is the red carts. #myfullcart
Next stop was Kierland Commons for a few necessary (<--unnecessary) items. Kierland is an outdoor shopping mall. Truth be told, I really went there to be outdoors. #truthbetold #trueisatheletawascallingme
I bought a white skirt at Ann Taylor for work that I really had been searching for and an Athleta workout tank that will join my drawer of thousands. White skirts are hard to come by! #whiteskirtfamine
Anthropologie T and Ann Taylor work dress for $11 on clearance. #steal
Even though my tax refunds came in last week, I didn't go crazy with shopping. It felt good to get out and do something different from my normal weekend routine. I haven't actually been to a mall since before my foot injury. #hardtobelieve
While I was out shopping, hunger snuck up on me. I had an apple and nuts in my purse to hold me over until I got home for dinner so I thought I would give you today a few of my snacking tips today.
1. Meal Consistency. Aim to eat 3 core meals each day - breakfast, lunch, dinner and eat core meals at the same time each day. This helps maintain blood sugar equilibrium and prevents highs & lows that cause snack attacks and remorse.
2. Pack Snacks. My pantry and fridge has a many snack available for me to grab on-the-go whenever I need them. I keep healthy options regularly stocked such as nuts, granola bars, individually wrapped nut butters, pretzels & popcorn, apples, baby carrots, pre-cut veggies & hummus. Keep 1-2 snacks in your purse and gym bag at all times. So when hunger strikes, you won't go into panic mode and eat something you regret later.
3. Portion Snacks. I don’t know about you, but I can eat an entire bag of chips in one sitting without thinking about it. I try to buy individually portioned snacks like pita chips, tortilla chips, popcorn or pretzels. It takes the thinking out of snacking and removes the risk of over indulging.
4. Plan Snacks. Schedule snacks throughout the day same as you would with your core meals. Aim to eat 3 snacks per day in-between core meals. This will keep your metabolism humming along and prevent blood sugar dips throughout the day.
5. Mix Up Snacks. Snack fatigue is real. Give yourself variety to avoid getting tired of the same foods. Overtime they won't do your body good either. Get creative and play with snack combinations too...watermelon + string cheese, yogurt +oatmeal or green smoothie, etc. You will look forward to snacks more when you think of all the fun combinations.
6. Listen to your body. Some days you may not be very hungry. Others you may want to attack the pantry. On those days, you may need 1-2 additional snacks than a regular day. Listen to your belly. If it's growling, you need a little something.
What are some of your tips and tricks for snacking? Your favorite go to snacks? How do you keep stress at bay?
Linking up with Becky at Olives n Wine.
[Tweet "Stress Relief + Snacking Tips"]