How do you organize your healthy grocery shopping list? Do you write it the day of, scribbling whatever comes to mind? Do you plan your menu ahead of time and make a list from that? Do you check your pantry, refrigerator and freezer to see what you need? Or do you wing it and grocery shop without a list?
There’s no right or wrong way to making a healthy grocery shopping list. However, there are a few ways you can stay organized. By having a system, you ensure your cart has the right foods making your healthy grocery shopping trip less stressful and setting yourself up for a week of good eating!
How To Make A Healthy Grocery Shopping List
Keep A Kitchen List
One simple hack is placing a dry erase board or a pen and paper in the kitchen to write down things you you’ve used them. This is handy if you have a big family to shop for so they can add things to the list as you go. Honestly, for me the easiest thing I’ve found is keeping a note on my iPhone with a running grocery list. My iPhone’s always with me too so I never forget my list.
I can’t tell you how many times I’m in the middle of making something only to realize I’m out of one ingredient I use all the time because I forgot to pick it up at the store. If I don’t write it down at that moment, it escapes my brain and I won’t remember it by the time I shop.
It happens a lot with things I used daily like lemons, lettuce, eggs, yogurt, etc. but don’t necessarily buy weekly. Having a running list in the kitchen ensures you’re not left stranded without any of the basics and it’s such a simple thing to do!
Meal planning is not only a huge time savior, but will keep you on track with healthy eating. You’re much less likely to eat fast food or a bag of chips when you have a plan and food that will go bad if you don’t eat it.
If you’re just starting to meal plan and feeling overwhelmed, check out The Beginner’s Guide To EASY Meal Planning. The key is to start small. If planning three meals a week is too much for you, focus on one healthy meal or snack. Remember something healthy is always better than nothing healthy.
Skinny Fitalicious Meal Plans take the work out of planning healthy, low calorie meals for you so you don’t have to search for meals. It’s EASY, convenient, time and money saving plus you get the bonus of eating healthy food and possibility of losing weight.
Organize Your List
Organize your list into categories or even by the layout of the store such as produce, dairy, eggs, meat, frozen, canned goods and condiments.
That way, as you walk through the store you can go in order of your list and avoid wasting time wandering around. You also lower the risk of picking up something you know you really shouldn’t have.
Emphasize Whole Foods
A key component of a healthy grocery shopping list is emphasizing whole foods. You want to buy as few processed foods as possible. Most have added sugar, additives and hydrogenated oil hidden in them. Not to mention corn as a by-product which is genetically modified. These foods disrupt normal body functions like hormones and metabolism which can lead to diseases like diabetes, and hinder weight loss.
The focus of your healthy grocery shopping list should be whole foods that have been as minimally processed as possible. Think beans, rice, oats, nuts and seeds that are either raw or have had nothing added to them.
The rule of thumb I live by is 30% of my shopping cart is lean protein, dairy, yogurt, grains and eggs. The other 70% is fruits and vegetables. I know it sounds like a lot of produce, but all of my meals are at least 1-2 cups of vegetables.
Not sure what a whole foods shopping cart looks like? Check out my What’s In A Skinny Girl’s Shopping Cart post for ideas! Also, pin the graphic below so you can reference it anytime!
Sign up for Skinny Fitalicious Meal Plans. It’s only $14 per month. I know you will love the recipes on them and the results too![shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="27416563"] [shareaholic app="recommendations" id="27416571"]