Wake up to a healthy Spiralized Breakfast Casserole made with wholesome ingredients, bursting with comforting flavors & packed with 20 grams of protein. This is one breakfast you will want to wake to! Paleo + Gluten Free + Low Carb + Low Calorie
I hate recovering from stuff. Whether it’s a cold, injury, surgery, whatever I just hate that whole having to put yourself back together again. Cramping, weird aches and pains, feeling tired and easily worn out are not things I love dealing with, and I’ve certainly dealt with my fair share of those things these last two years battling medical problems.
I saw the doctor Monday and he said I’m doing incredible. His words “you’re so much more advanced than I ever expected.” Don’t get me wrong, things have been going really well and I believe him. But there are days when my body reminds me I had major surgery and I need to slow the F down, and I don’t love that.
There’s nothing more that frustrates me than feeling like an 80 year old, and I’m not gonna lie there have been sprinkles of those days here and there. I was so tired I basically slept last weekend away. I’m hoping this means my body is working to repair itself so I can get on with life already. Geez. Doesn’t it know I have important things to do and times a wasting?
One morning I woke up in a doozy from my cinderella sleep and decided I need a little comfort to soothe my soul. That comfort came in the form of a spiralized sweet potato and zucchini layered in casserole form with breakfast sausage, drowned in eggs and Italian seasoning.
You see, growing up, my Mom always made breakfast casserole and cinnamon rolls every holiday morning. It was family tradition, and one I always looked forward to. There was something comforting about a leisure morning and glorious smells of sausage and eggs luring you out of bed. Those are memories I will never forget!
This Spiralized Breakfast Casserole is a healthy version of that childhood favorite that’s equally comforting. I added sweet potatoes to give the casserole a “crust” like texture, and bulked them up with zucchini because I like to sneak veggies in wherever I can otherwise I probably wouldn’t eat them. Just throw whatever you got in there. Why not?
And because eggs and veggies are not winning at being the prettiest foods in the world, I made mine BEAUTY-ful by spiralizing the sweet potatoes and zucchini. I don’t know what I’d do without my $20 spiralizer.
Receive a Sugar Free Meal Plan
When you join the Skinny Fitalicious email list
Spiralized Breakfast Casserole
- 1 8 ounce package lean ground turkey breakfast sausage I used Jenni-O
- 24 egg whites you can also use 12 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 zucchini spiralized
- 2 cups sweet potato peeled and spiralized, ~ 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 350 F. Prepare a square 8x8 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.
- Bring a medium skillet to medium heat and add the turkey sausage. With a wooden spoon, break down the sausage as it browns. Once browned, drain the meat then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites with milk, salt, pepper and seasonings until frothy.
- Assemble the casserole by evenly layering the spiralized sweet potato on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Then add the meat over the top in an even layer.
- Layer the spiralized zucchini and spinach on top.
- Pour the egg white mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the oven at 350 F 30-37 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from the oven and cool 10 minutes in the baking dish before slicing into 9 large portions.
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.
What I Used For The Recipe
Not only does the spiralizing make the veggies look pretty, but it makes them cook faster because they’re thinner. No roasting means you’re breakfast making life just got a whole lot easier. Are you in yet?
In case you aren’t, think about how awesome you’ll feel saying, “I made a Spiralized Breakfast Casserole.” Try it! This is one breakfast you’ll want to get out of bed for!
What are you willing to get out of bed for?
P.S. Remember to fill out the survey!
[Tweet “This #Paleo Spiralized Breakfast Casserole is one you’ll want to get out of bed for!”]