Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing made grain free and dairy free with a healthy twist. This holiday dish has the flavor of traditional stuffing without the grains. Easy to make and crowd pleasing! Paleo + Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Thanksgiving Stuffing has never been a favorite of mine. I can't remember a time when I've ever had a traditional stuffing on my dinner plate during any holiday occasion. I remember as a teenager trying it and being completely turned off.
Not sure if it was the bread, spices, flavor or what, but something never sat well with me. Maybe I just secretly wanted to save room for more dessert. 😉
But here's the thing friends. Boxed stuffing isn't a healthy option. The ingredients of traditional Stovetop boxed stuffing are: wheat flour, high fructose corn syrup, dried onions, salt, soy protein, MSD, yeast, interesterified soybean oil, cooked chicken, celery, parsley, chicken broth, garlic, turmeric, natural flavor, BHA, BHT and rosemary extract.
Many inflammatory ingredients in that list, not to mention high fructose corn syrup is the SECOND ingredient in it. It's one the WORST things you can put into your body and many studies have linked it to insulin resistance.
So ditch the boxed stuffing friends and make your own because I've got a recipe that I 100% can get down with, and I'm sure you can too. Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing!
Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing
Totally grain-free with no bread substitutes, added sugar or inflammatory ingredients. Simply real food with fall seasonings that make one incredibly delicious and easy holiday dish your family will love.
Now I know the ingredients seem like an odd combination of foods and flavors, but sometimes strange combinations are the best. I know you'll love this one! It's a healthier stuffing that's lightened up and higher in protein.
What You Need
- Sweet Potatoes
- Ground turkey
- Olive Oil
- Egg whites
- Apple cider vinegar
- Thyme, Parsley, Salt, Pepper
The flavors and texture are indescribable. Like nothing you've ever tasted before.
Make it ahead of time! I know it seems like it has a lot of steps and on a holiday that may make healthy eating seem unachievable. It's not!
If you've got a busy day of cooking ahead of you, prep everything through step 6 in the recipe ahead of time, cover with foil and store in the refrigerator.
The day you plan to eat the stuffing do step 7 (the baking). Pop in the oven for 15-18 minutes and serve. I have to warn you though, this dish makes the BEST leftovers and they'll go fast.
Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Pull out an 11"x8" baking dish and set aside.
- Heat a skillet with the extra virgin olive oil and sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook the sweet potato 7-8 minutes on the stove until slightly tender (not fully cooked) then add the ground turkey, celery, apple, mushrooms, dried parsley and thyme. Stir to combine and cook until the meat is browned another 5-7 minutes.
- Once the turkey is cooked, transfer the contents of the pan to a large mixing bowl. Add the cranberries and pecans. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the contents of the mixing bowl into the baking dish. No greasing is necessary.
- In a small ramekin, whisk together the egg whites and vinegar then pour over the content in the baking dish evenly.
- Bake at 375 F 15-18 minutes until browned then remove from the oven and serve!
What I Used For The Recipe