Healthy Chicken Dumpling Soup! Gluten Free dumplings snuggled in a warm bowl of chicken soup. Cozy, comforting, loaded with veggies and flavor. A quick & easy meal to feed the soul. Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! I just made Healthy Chicken Dumpling Soup! Made in 40 minutes with REAL food that's gluten free and packed with so much flavor. This soup is one I surely will be eating all winter long.
Growing up our family went to a restuarant in Green Bay that had chicken dumpling soup. I can't remember the name of it, but OMG it was so good!
I loved it more than I can describe. However, I haven't seen or heard of chicken dumpling soup in a long time, much less a healthy version. For some reason it popped in my head around my birthday and I could not stop thinking about making my own healthy chicken dumping soup.
This soup is a twist on my Mom's chicken noodle soup. One of my all time favorite recipes! An easy blend of onion, carrots, celery and a few seasonings.
But since I went gluten free two years ago, the noodles are a no for me and I still haven't found gluten free ones that I like. I'm still on the search for them so I'll keep you posted on if I find them some day.
The REAL star of this show though? The dumplings! I used a blend of Gluten Free Oat Flour and Cassava Flour. Cassava is a yucca (potato) root flour. Tastes like a potato and although it is fine, it gets a real starchy texture when baked. It's one of my favorite gluten free flours and honestly I need to use it more.
Making the dumplings for this healthy dumpling soup is very easy. Just mix and roll! I have to admit rolling them was the fun part. But EATING them was even better!
Healthy Chicken Dumpling Soup
For the Chicken
For the Soup
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chicken breast on the baking sheet. Divide the oil among the chicken breasts then sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Rub the ingredients into the chicken on both sides well.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let the chicken cool on a plate.
- While the chicken cools, prepare the dumplings by mixing all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Be sure to measure the flour by spooning it into the measuring cup.
- Roll the dough into dumplings with your hands and place on a plate. Depending on the size, you will get 18-24 balls.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Heat an 8 quart pot to medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and bay leaves.
- Cook 3-5 minutes until tender then add the broth, water and chicken. Bring the pot to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the dumplings and thyme.
- Cook the dumplings until cooked through. When they float to the top is when they are done.
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir n the milk and remove the bay leaves.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks or the freezer 4-6 months.
What I Used For The Recipe