This Lightened Up Spanish Tortilla is loaded with sweet potatoes, zucchini and sun dried tomatoes. A new and lighter twist on a Spanish Tortilla that's easy to make. It's wholesome, light and delicious! Perfect for a holiday, weekend brunch or breakfast meal prep. Paleo + Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Tortilla what? If you've ever had traditional Spanish tortilla before, then you know it's an egg casserole with potatoes. It's delicious! When I lived in Spain, my host Mom made Spanish tortilla all the time. It was a regular dinner and breakfast staple.
I still remember the first time she made Spanish tortilla and was telling me all about it. I had NO IDEA what she was saying.
I was standing in the kitchen, saying "si" to everything she said because I was clueless and had no idea how to tell her that. Who knows? Maybe she wasn't telling me about the tortilla and was talking about the bus stop.
After two weeks of painfully trying to comprehend her and everyone else, something in my brain finally clicked one day and I was able to comprehend everything everyone was saying.
I still remember how stunned I was that I was able to easily understand and speak the language.
I can't say it would be easy for me now because I'm out of practice, but one day I will like to take my guy and visit.
Since I can't go back now, I can relive those memories through this Lightened Up Spanish Tortilla!
Traditional Spanish tortilla is made with russet potatoes, which are not bad for you but they are higher in starch and carbs which I try to watch in my diet.
I swapped them for sweet potatoes and added zucchini and sun dried tomatoes to pack in more veggies and balance the protein, fat and carbs better!
The flavor is incredible and it's easy to make too! A great recipe for Mother's Day, a weekend brunch or breakfast meal prep!
If you make it, please tag me on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Lightened Up Spanish Tortilla
- 2 1/2 cups sweet potato diced, about 2 small potatoes
- 1 zucchini sliced into medallions
- 6 egg whites
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt for Paleo sub coconut yogurt or omit
- 2 tablespoons almond milk unsweetened
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a pie dish.
- Remove the potatoes and transfer to the baking dish. Add the zucchini to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes to lightly tenderize them. Transfer the zucchini to the baking dish, layering over the potatoes.
- Whisk together the eggs, yogurt, milk, garlic powder and sun dried tomatoes together in a bowl then pour over the potatoes and zucchini.
- Bake at 375 25-28 minutes until center and edges are set. Remove from the oven and cool 5-10 minutes before slicing into 8 slices and serving.