Hi, Friends! Hope you’re having a lovely Tuesday! My new word is mash. I’m not sure that mash is a real word, but it sounds better to me than casserole. I’ve never like the word casserole for some reason. Sounds old or something. Mash is a better fit me me because I’m always tossing random things together and crossing my fingers and toes they will taste good. I really don’t put that much thought into what I’m making. It just happens. So anyway, I will be whipping up new things in the future and calling them “something” mash from now on.
When I was in Wisconsin, I made a handful of meals for my parents when my Mom came home from the hospital. One night I threw a few random things in the crock-pot that I was hungry for. It put no thought into it and it turned out phenomenal! My Mom loved it. Funny how that happens?
The cool thing is this requires such little prep it laughable. My Mom could handle making this as she’s recovering from heart surgery. This dish was so delicious that when I got home to my sunny Arizona from Wisconsin, I made it again for myself and I jazzed it up by putting it in a baked bell pepper. Fancy!
You can do this either way. For my parents, I assembled the sweet potato mash on a bed of mixed lettuce and topped with salsa.
For myself, I baked bell peppers in the over (sliced and cleaned). Then added the sweet potato mash to bell pepper. Tada!
All I can say is this recipe is going in my regular meal rotation. Easy. Delicious. Healthy.
Hope you enjoy this healthy dish and your day!
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 15 oz can no salt added black beans, drained
- 4 ounces lean turkey breast
- 2 small zucchini, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp mexican hot pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 Green Bell Pepper & 1 Red Bell Pepper
- Mixed Greens
- In a crockpot, add all crockpot ingredients
- Set crockpot to low and cook 2-3 hours or until sweet potatoes become mashed
- Then 30 minutes prior to finishing, preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a baking sheet
- Wash and clean bell peppers
- Slice bell peppers in half
- Add bell peppers to baking sheet and cover with foil
- Bake in oven 20 minutes and remove foil
- Assemble a plate of mixed greens
- Add baked bell pepper
- Fill bell pepper with sweet potato mexican mash
- Top with your favorite salsa
What random foods have you cooked together that turned out amazing? Anything not so amazing?
Disclaimer – Affiliate links are included, which enable me to earn a small income and do not affect purchase price. Money earned goes back into my large grocery bill to bring you more delicious recipes!