A luscious Paleo Coconut Lemon Cake that’s thick and bursting with lemon! Made with coconut flour and topped with crispy baked lemon zest, this cake makes an excellent low-carb, gluten-free, calorie friendly snack! Paleo + Gluten Free + Low Calorie
WOW. Do I feel old. This weekend I went out with a friend and had two drinks. I was in bed at 10:30 p.m. and I woke the Saturday morning with a massive, kill-me-now kind of headache like I was out partying like a rockstar all night. It was a good reminder of why I don’t drink much anymore.
You see when I was working in Mexico , I did enough drinking to last me a lifetime. I know…SHOCKER! I told you, I used to be unhealthy. I was there during 9/11 which made border crossing horrible.
It was a two or three hour wait every night as customs checked everyone. So my co-workers and I came up with the fabulous idea that we would have happy hour in Mexico every night to kill time during rush hour traffic.
Oh, those were fun times! Now I look back at that time in my life and wonder how I ever survived. No sleep, a really bad diet and a lot of drinking. I guess that’s why I don’t tolerate drinking so well now. Fast forward to today and that seems like a different person’s life. Who was I?
So the next morning I faced my destiny. Dragged myself out of bed, had some ibuprofen, drank a little coffee and went to the gym. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that the best cure to a hangover is a workout. It’s painful, but it works! I swear there isn’t anything a workout won’t fix. Well, maybe not a fracture.
After my workout, I was H-U-N-G-R-Y and my saving grace was this luscious Paleo Coconut Lemon Cake. If it wasn’t for this, who knows what I would have ate. And there’s nothing like a thick and lemon-y, low carb bread to squash the munchies.
This Paleo Coconut Lemon Cake was a spin off of my grain free lemon cake that’s made with almond flour. I modified the recipe a bit using coconut flour and added a ton of lemon zest on top so when it baked it would get extra crispy and extra lemony. Oh yeah, this version really bursts of lemon.
SO if you are a LEMON like me (hehe) then this Paleo Coconut Lemon Cake cake is for you! Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. Now that’s what I call a fun night out!
3 Smart Strategies To Stop Cravings
BONUS when you sign up!
Paleo Coconut Lemon Cake
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F and prepare a 9X9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a standing mixer or using a hand mixer, combine egg whites with salt, lemon juice and lemon extract. Mix ingredients until egg whites are thick and fluffy.
- Add honey, unsweetened applesauce and coconut oil and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, baking powder, almond flour and coconut flour.
- Then add flour mixture slowly to liquid mixture while mixing. Do not over combine. The coconut flour will absorb the liquid quickly so you do not need to mix much.
- Place the bread mixture in the baking pan. Use the palm of your hand to gently press it evenly throughout the pan. Then add the zest of one lemon evenly to the top of the bread.
- Bake the cake 50 minutes or the top turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool another 30 minutes on a rack before slicing into 12 luscious bars.
Custom Meal Plans
Work with Megan to develop a custom macro or standard meal plan to reach your goals.