Are you trying to lose weight & fighting a slug metabolism? Did you know some foods can actually help boost your metabolism?
Metabolism is the process our bodies use to breakdown carbohydrates, proteins & fats to give us energy. The rate that our bodies does this varies from person to person. Our metabolism is preset by our genetics, which we cannot change. As we age, our metabolism slows down. This is why some people gain weight as they become older.
The good news is you can increase your metabolism by exercising and eating certain foods. The following foods have been shown to increase your metabolism so you don’t have to be cuffed to those sluggish genes anymore.
I began including these in my diet when I started my weight loss journey 4 years ago. Yet today, I continue to include these foods in my diet regularly along with a consistent fitness routine. Combining certain foods & exercise can turn your metabolism into a fat burning power house!
Reference my Pinterest inspiration board to remind yourself of these powerful metabolism boosting foods!
1. Coffee – I drink 1 or 2 cups of regular coffee daily. Starbucks flavored vanilla or caramel are my favorite. I also love the Pike Place dark roast with a dash of cinnamon and a fat-free coffee creamer.
2. Green Tea – I drink 1 cup of green tea daily – hot in the winter, cold in the summer. My favs is Starbucks Tazo Green Tea green tea, which can also be found at Target. I also purchase Yamamotoyama Genmai-Cha Green Tea online from Amazon. It has brown rice & the most amazing flavor!
3. Water – is not only great for hydration, but also to keep you full which can help with weight-loss so drink up butter cup! My goal is 96 ounces a day. I add lemon to flavor my water. I also make a Detox Water once a month.
4. Dairy such as cheese, yogurt, milk – Careful to not overdue these as they can pack a lot of calories! I eat greek yogurt daily and cheese in moderation.
3. Egg Whites – I eat 1 or 2 daily. I boil them & bring them to work or fry them with cooked spinach & garlic powder. As a treat, I bake them in my oatmeal and add nuts & fruit.
4. Lean Protein such as chicken breast, turkey & fish – I eat lean protein 2 times a day except for when I eat vegetarian. A turkey wrap for lunch & chicken or fish for dinner.
5. Chili Peppers – I add hot sauce to my eggs in the morning or I top my fish with salsa to get my fix.
6. Whole Grains such as oatmeal, whole wheat bread, pasta & brown rice – I use whole grains 3 or 4 times a week in my meals. Our bodies have to are a few examples our bodies have to work harder to break down these foods.
7. Lentils – these are a recent new love of mine. I cook lentils in my meals once or twice per month. They are cheap & nutritious!
Disclaimer – I am not a certified nutritionist. The statements made in this post are based on my personal experience & research. Consult with your physician if you have questions.
Questions – What is your favorite metabolism boosting foods? What’s one food you would like to incorporate in your diet?
Have a great day!