This warm Maple Tahini Butternut Sweet Potato Mash is a healthier version of sweet potato casserole. Lightly sweetened with maple syrup, savory tahini sauce and topped with pecans to make the perfect side dish for fall, winter and holiday gatherings. Gluten Free + Low Calorie + Vegan + Paleo
So today marks 4 weeks since my hip surgery. I can’t believe it’s been a month already and I can’t believe how good it feels to no longer be in pain. I have to admit though these last few weeks have been mentally challenging. Feeling this good post surgery and not being able to walk without a crutch or cane has been mentally hard for me.
Last weekend I broke down in tears exclaiming to my Mom how I desperately wanted to walk. Finally this week I took a few steps on my own. Then I got tired and had to rest. Haha!
My doctor told me it may be another 3-4 weeks before I’m walking on my own. Then my PT reminded me I’ve been living with avascular necrosis for 18 years with no function of my glute muscles. Who would think your butt is so critical to walking?
At least my kitchen makes it easy for me to get around. I can support myself with the cabinets which means I’m back to cooking and in my happy place!
Cooking makes me happy. Good food makes me happy. Friends make me happy. Music makes me happy. Working out makes me happy. It’s times like this when you have to find what makes you happy and do it to the extreme!
You know what else makes me happy? Warm, comforting fall food like this Butternut Sweet Potato Mash! I’m a sucker for a good sweet potato anything, but especially a sweet potato casserole with crunchy pecans on top.
But this isn’t just any sweet potato casserole, this is MAPLE TAHINI Butternut Sweet Potato Mash.
Have you had maple and tahini together? OMG. If you haven’t, run to the kitchen now and try it. It’s luscious and sweet. Like, I could eat a bowl of the stuff everyday for the rest of my life and I would be completely happy. Almost too addictive to be healthy for you!
Maple Tahini Butternut Sweet Potato Mash
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled & chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups butternut squash ~1 small butternut, peeled, seeds removed and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp tahini + 1 tbsp for topping
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/4 cup pecans + more for topping
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven 425 F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chopped sweet potatoes and butternut squash on the baking sheet in an even layer.
- Spray the vegetables with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sage.
- Roast at 425 F for 40 minutes until vegetables are tender. Turn down oven to 325 F.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a blender or food processor. To the vegetables, add coconut milk, maple syrup and tahini.
- Blend on high until vegetables are broken down and smooth. Place pecans in the blender and pulse them into the mixture so there are chunks throughout.
- Transfer the mash to an oven safe baking dish.
- Top with 1 tbsp remaining tahini and more pecans as desired.
- Bake at 325 F 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and devour!
Love my recipes?
Check out my cookbook!