An Italian classic lightened up and made Paleo. This low calorie Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan “Pasta” will soon become a regular dinner in your household.
Last weekend I was thinking how much I miss my Tucson friends and how I would really love to drive down this weekend to see them. Since moving to Phoenix two years ago, my life has been a whirlwind. When I moved here, I was traveling to Dallas weekly for a client. The move itself went smooth considering all the logistics involved. I flew in from Dallas on a Thursday night and Friday morning the movers packed everything up at my Tucson house, we drove to Phoenix and I was in my new house. I had no idea where any stores were or how to get around. That never worried me. I was used to figuring stuff out traveling as a consultant for years. My parents flew out to help with the move and kept asking where things were. My answer, “Google it.” Google is the answer to all questions.
After 2-3 months, finally settled in my new home. It took some time to get everything in it’s place then I had flooring and landscaping done. Mom came to supervise while I worked. I have no idea what I’d do without her. I’d have to get married (ha!). Around the time I settled in, I rolled off my project in Dallas and didn’t have another client lined up. Timing of things is ironic sometimes. Why couldn’t I have rolled off before the move? I worked from home a few weeks when a colleague hooked me up with local Phoenix client who a year later I started working for directly. I immediately knew I was home when I walked in the door. The people were awesome and I immediately connected with them. Life was good! I started this blog, found a great gym and was in the best shape of my life. Then 2014 came. First came the foot stress fracture in January, then Mom’s emergency heart surgery in April, a blog trade dispute in July, finding out I have no estrogen in August and an ankle stress fracture in October-December that was misdiagnosed 3 times.
On the bright side, many really great things happened last year. I made new & awesome friends at Blend and all over the internet. This blog was became my baby. It grew out of no where and gave me something to focus on while I was recovering from injury. It kept me sane. I started my new job working for my client which to this day is a dream come true. The reason I moved to Phoenix in the first place was to be in a bigger job market and find something that would keep me home more and out of airports. I never imagined it would happen so fast, but it did. Things happen when you put them into motion!
2014 was definitely a year of big ups and big downs, but in the end it worked out the way it was meant to be. I was busy and didn’t have time for old friends much less time to make new ones. So yeah, I’m walking through the past all to say I really miss my friends. You know the ones you text Friday morning to find out what time HH is on, go to dinner with on Saturday night without having to schedule it weeks in advance or the ones you randomly take an afternoon hike then drink a beer with? I miss those kinda friends. I have friends in Phoenix, but not those kind of friends. Even when I make a delicious recipe like this Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan or my favorite muffins or snacks, I always want to invite my friends over to eat good food and catch up over a glass of wine. I wish they lived closer and I wish time didn’t slip away as fast as it does. So if you’re friends are close, whip them up something good like this delicious dinner and don’t let time pass without seeing them. I’m off to plan a road trip, but maybe first I should buy a new car.
[Tweet “Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan #paleo #lowcarb #lowcalorie”]
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- ½ cup almond flour (sub oat flour if allergic to nuts)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 egg white s
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 24 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- salt & pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- Preheat oven 425 degrees
- Slice spaghetti squash in half & remove seeds
- Spray with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray then salt & pepper
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place squash flesh facing down
- Cover squash with tin foil
- Roast in the oven 40-45 minutes
- After the squash has been cooking ~20 minutes, begin cooking the meal.
- Prepare one bowl with egg whites
- Prepare a second bowl with flour, sea salt & parmesan
- Heat a large saute pan on stove with extra virgin olive oil to medium heat
- Place prepared chicken in egg white bowl then move to flour bowl coating chicken with mixture
- Place chicken in pan
- Repeat for remaining chicken
- Allow to cook 7 minutes or until chicken begins to brown slightly
- Flip and allow cook until golden brown
- As the chicken is cooking, heat a large saucepan on the stove to medium-low heat
- Add tomatoes, garlic & seasonings
- As sauce is cook, remove spaghetti squash from the oven and with a fork shred the squash from the skin
- Add squash to the sauce coating well with sauce
- Spoon squash with sauce on a plate & top with chicken breast
*Note* remove foil from spaghetti squash & allow to cool a little before forking the squash flesh from the skin
How often do you see old friends? Who’s someone special you live far away from?
Visit my Food Shop for more of my favorite ingredients!
Disclaimer – this post may contain affiliate links. Read more about my policies here. Thank you for your support!