A creamy Cashew Kale Veggie Chickpea Soup swimming in a rainbow of vegetables, kale and spice. This ultimate bowl of health is so creamy and delicious you’ll never believe it’s vegetarian or good for you. Perfect for a cold winter day!
Happy Monday Muffins! Hope you’re having a great start to the week. Today’s a little sad. Mom’s leaving me to go back to Wisconsin. 🙁 I wish she had picked a working day (today’s a holiday for my office) I would’ve had something to distract me from thinking about it. She was iffy about leaving. Honestly I would too if I were going from 70 degree weather to 0 or less in Wisconsin with ice and snow. I never will miss that or shoveling. I’ll take extreme hot summers any day over Midwest living. Way too cold for this desert girl even if I am a Packer fan.
Last weekend was a busy one, running around getting her packed and ready for the trip back. She always ends up accumulating a lot of stuff after being here a couple months making for creative packing. I felt bad we didn’t get to spend as much quality girl time together this year. Usually we spend every weekend driving all over Phoenix checking out our favorite stores.
Since I was injured again this year, shopping was not on the Rx plan. It worked out, for me anyway. One of my goals this year is to spend less and save more. Shopping with Mom always equals spending my whole paycheck. It’s like going to Whole Foods. She’s a terrible influence, but we do get each other excited about our finds. Once we saw this older mother-daughter shopping at Nordstrom’s and joked it was an older version of us. Haha. Yeah shopping with Mom is dangerous, but a lot of fun. Next year!
I’m gonna miss having my little taste tester in the house which I’m still taking applications for in case you’re interested. I’ve been able to test a ton of new recipes with her here and she’s willing to try anything no matter how goofy sounds. She’s funny about it though. She’ll plate herself a tiny bit at first, taste it, then say “I just need a little more” then go back for a heaping serving. That’s when I know I got something really good. I’ve even been depriving my co-workers of muffins because Mom eats them (I eat one a day too). By the end of the week, we’re usually out and I’m whipping up another batch by Saturday.
I’ve had to train her not to take the muffins until I’m done photographing. She likes everything hot, right out of the oven and has snagged a few behind my back when I wasn’t looking. She’s sneaky that way. I swear she has Mom radar. Before I even take it out of the oven, she’s racing down the stairs to see what I’m about to pull out. She keeps it fun, a big kid at heart. That’s something I admire about her. Wish I was more like that. Now that’s she gone, I’ll probably take a little break from cooking and eat my way through the leftovers in the freezer. Then I’ll need to hire taste testers. I’m sure my co-workers will gladly sacrifice. I’m still gonna miss Mom though.
Mom didn’t just muffins. She ate everything else in between including this creamy cashew vegetable kale soup. In fact, it was one of her favorites so it’s only right I post it today. This glowing soup is a version of the original from Oh She Glows. It’s swimming with a rainbow of vegetables & spices. I didn’t change too much from the original recipe. I used canned tomatoes because who has time to do it with real ones. I also bought pre-cut butternut squash instead of using sweet potatoes. There’s a lot of veggies in this recipe to prep. I tossed them veggies in my food processor to roughly chop them. Huge time saver. Mom was kind enough to chop the first batch by hand, but when she’s not around I don’t have time for that. The ingredients are versatile so feel free to do whatever floats your boat. This soup freezes extremely well which is good because it yields a lot. It’s so creamy and filling you’ll never know it was meatless or good for you. 🙂 I recommend pairing it with a muffin. Now go have yourself a little winter pool party. Have a great Monday!
- ¾ cup raw unslated cashews, soaked
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken if not vegetarian)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1½ cups pre-cut butternut squash (frozen works too)
- 2 cups kale (pre-washed & de-stemmed)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, cover the cashews with water & soak for at least 4-8 hours - I soaked mine overnight
- After soaking, drain water from cashew bowl then add cashews to blender with 1 cup of broth
- Blend until a creamy mixture appears & set aside
- Heat a large pot on the stove over high heat & add extra-virgin olive oil
- To the pot, add carrots, red pepper, butternut squash, celery, canned diced tomatoes, cashew cream, remaining 5 cups broth & all spice blend
- Bring to a boil then reduce to medium heat
- Add bay leaves, sea salt & pepper
- Allow the soup to simmer 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add kale & chickpeas during the last 5 minutes
- Once the kale has wilted, the soup is ready
- Add salt/pepper as needed
- Remove bay leaves
- Serve & enjoy!
- Additional note - this soup freezes beautifully!
How often do you try new recipes? What’s your favorite winter soup?
[Tweet “Creamy Cashew Vegetable Kale Soup #fitfluential #vegetarian #healthysoup”]
Lots of Health, Food & Love,