Bursting with blueberries and infused with citrus and toasted almonds, this Blueberry Almond Baked Salmon tastes more like candy than anything healthy!
If you’re looking for dinner inspiration today, then you came to the right place! This meal is one you are going to love. If you like candy, you will love this! Thanks to Kate, I’ve been eating my way through a stockpile of Sizzlefish this month. She moved to California a few weeks ago and couldn’t take it with her. I certainly could not let good fish to to waste even if my freezer is overflowing. Blog friends are the best. They know the importance of good food.
What I love about fish is how easy it is to make. Being on crutches these last weeks, I’ve had zero motivation to cook. All I want to do is sleep and it takes every ounce of my energy to do anything else. Since Mom doesn’t cook much, it’s up to me to make the food otherwise we would eat hummus and smoothies three times day. Cooking on crutches is like a circus act, but thankfully, my kitchen is laid out well so I can maneuver around it easily.
Even still, I’ve been a lot of making simple meals so I can stay off my feet. Simple meals doesn’t have to mean sacrificing good nutrition. I need to keep my body well nourished at all times, but even more important as it’s healing.
I also love cooking fish because it’s so simple to make. It requires very little prep and attention which is why I keep a healthy stash of it on hand. A lot of people are intimidated by fish and avoid cooking it like the plague. But me, I fully embrace it. I believe it’s much simpler to cook with than other proteins. The best part? It’s a whole lot of fancy for not a whole lot of effort. Your dinner guests will think you spent hours in the kitchen when you probably spent less than an hour.
What I also love about fish is just how versatile it is. You can pair virtually any flavor with it and it tastes amazing. The real trick is to not overcook the fish so it stays moist and flaky. One of my simplest hacks for salmon is baking it in tin foil. I wrap the fish in individual foils with their seasonings, oils and vinegars. Then place in the oven in an oven safe baking dish and it steams nicely in under 30 minutes. It always turns out perfectly flaky and moist.
When pairing flavors with fish, I like to think outside the box and put unexpected things with it. Fish is like a blank canvas just waiting to absorb delicious flavors. When Blue Diamond sent me their newest flavored almonds, I knew immediately those blueberry almonds would be perfect on my salmon. While the salmon was baking nicely in the oven, I toasted the almonds and fresh blueberries on the stovetop until the blueberries began to burst. Toasting the almonds really brought out the blueberry flavor in them and the fresh blueberries brightened the flavors even more. I topped the fish and rice with the blueberry almond mixture. It was like eating candy. Now that’s what good food is all about!
- 2 - 4 ounce Atlantic salmon filetes
- 2 - ½ inch orange slices
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp Blue Diamond blueberry almonds
- ½ tsp Old Bay blackened seasoning
- ½ tsp thyme
- 2 spritzes extra virgin olive for each filet
- ½ tbsp citrus champagne vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place salmon onto a piece of tin foil twice the size of the fish
- Spritz filetes with extra virgin olive oil then add citrus vinegar
- Add Old Bay & thyme to taste
- Top each salmon filet with an orange slice
- Wrap foil around fishing rolling top down leaving about ½ inch for salmon to steam while in the oven
- Place salmon foils in a glass oven safe dish
- Bake 25-30 minutes until salmon is flaky
- While salmon is baking, heat a small pan on the stove to medium heat
- Add blueberries and almonds
- Cook until blueberries begin to burst
- Remove salmon from oven and remove from foil
- Plate salmon and top with blueberry almonds
*For Paleo, do not serve with the rice
What’s one of your cooking hacks? Are you scared of cooking with fish?
Visit my Food Shop for more of my favorite ingredients!
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. All opinions stated are my own. Thank you for your support!