This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KickinItWithKikkoman #CollectiveBias
Eat more veggies! This Almond Crusted Asparagus with Soy Yogurt recipe is an easy way of flavoring boring veggies so you’ll want to eat more of them. Paired with a simple Greek yogurt dipping sauce to dip your asparagus fries into for a simple & tasty side or appetizer. Gluten Free + Low Calorie
Today I’ve got this delicious almond crusted asparagus recipe with an amazing soy yogurt sauce for you. But first, let me tell you this weekend was insanely busy! I’m heading off to Vegas later this week for a conference with my bestie, and the guy left this morning to visit family in NJ. Between prepping for our trips and trying to get time in together, the weekend was nuts. I’m lacking zzz’s and running on coffee today.
Now before you run away from this veggie packed recipe, let me tell you why you need this in your life. A nutrition client recently shared her disdain with the boring taste of vegetables. I can’t say I blame her. Veggies can be pretty bland especially if you’re not used to eat an unprocessed diet. In fact, you might say eating veggies is like eating cardboard. Not that I’ve ever eaten cardboard!
To jazz up the usual boring asparagus, I coated them in an easy almond flour mixture. Healthy fats plus veggies go so well together. Actually, I thought about calling this recipe asparagus fries because that’s really what they are. I can convince you to try anything that tastes like fries, yes?
What really takes this simple asparagus recipe to the next level is the soy yogurt sauce! Traditional aioli’s served with appetizers or veggies have a mayonnaise base, which isn’t the healthiest or waist friendly option. This sauce is made with just three ingredients – Kikkoman® Traditionally Brewed Soy Sauce, Greek yogurt and garlic powder. That’s all!
Soy sauce is an easy way to enhance the taste and round out the flavors of foods. I love adding it to recipes here and there for an unexpected, yet much appreciated flavor! It’s one of those things I think people forget about using, but can be so easily incorporated into your day-to-day cooking. It’s not just for Asian food! P.S. if you haven’t taken my 4 question meal prep survey, I would appreciate it!
Kikkoman® offers several varieties so anyone can enjoy them. Kikkoman® Less Sodium Soy Sauce and Kikkoman® Less Sodium Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce are great for those watching their sodium intake without sacrificing flavor. They also have Gluten-Free products, which of course I love.
This Almond Crusted Asparagus recipe can be made two ways – grilled or baked. Either way you make it, it’s guaranteed delicious! Grab a Kikkoman® coupon and make it the next time you fire up the grill.
Get the SKINNY on the latest recipes & weight loss tips!
Sign up to get a FREE eBOOK + a BONUS discount!
- For the Asparagus
- ½ lb. asparagus, washed & ends trimmed
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1½ tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg
- For the Sauce
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F or preheat grill to medium heat. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with foil and spraying with cooking spray. The baking sheet should be used this way whether grilling or baking.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg with 2 tablespoons of water.
- In another separate bowl, add the flour, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Sift together until the ingredients are dispersed well.
- Create an assembly line with egg wash, flour mixture and baking sheet.
- Dip each asparagus spear into the egg wash, then immediately into the flour mixture coating well. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat for all asparagus.
- Bake or grill 15 minutes until crispy.
- While the asparagus is cooking, stir the yogurt, soy sauce and garlic powder together in a bowl. Place in the refrigerator until the asparagus is finished cooking for the flavors to marinade.
These are the nutritional values for the soy yogurt (for 1 of 4 servings):
Calories: 27 Total Fat: 0g Sugar: 1.2g Sodium: 610.8mg Carbs: 2.9g Fiber: 0.2g Protein: 3.9g Cholesterol: 1.2mg
Need more summer grilling inspiration? Check out these delicious recipes!