Shrimp & Red Peppers With Butternut Squash Rice decorated with parsley. A savory dish filled with vegetables, bursting with a flavor that can be made in under 30 minutes! Paleo, gluten free, low calorie and packed with nutrition.
You know when you do something over and over again how it becomes a normal part of your routine and you don’t even think about it? It’s like the autopilot takes over and you’re the machine. Kind of like driving home from work. You have those days where you leave the office then suddenly you’re home. Please admit it’s happened to you so I don’t have to be alone in this! It’s freakishly scary how our brains can do that. That is unless I’m the only person who has that magic power.
But when it comes to food and eating, that same autopilot thing happens. You start believing everyone in the world is eating the same way you are which is kind of ridiculous because now that I have to eat gluten free I’m blatantly aware of the fact that not everyone is eating the same way I am. In fact, I’m reminded of it overtime I eat out.
For some reason every now and then, I still have that duh moment when I don’t think twice about making something an “official” recipe. Like making egg muffins. I assume everyone’s making egg muffins so why would they want to see a recipe for eggs? But then I post a recipe for quinoa egg muffins, a recipe I’ve been making every week for years and then realize no, silly Megan! Everyone is not making the eggs I’m making. Apparently what’s normal for me, may not be normal for you.
So now you know a recipe like this Shrimp & Red Peppers with butternut squash rice is my normal. Still it’s hard to believe I haven’t posted this until now. I’ve been making it for a really long time and it’s truly one I adore! This one sort of happened haphazardly a couple years ago when I was out of rice to make another Shrimp & Red Peppers dish I make a lot so on a whim I substituted butternut squash for the rice and it was delicious! What’s even better, is this savory goodness can be made and on the table in under 30 minutes. A nutritious dinner for a busy night. Sign me up! Plus who could resist all those pretty colors?
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned, tail removed & deveined
- 3 cups butternut squash or 1 large squash cubed
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced & diced
- 1 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp parsley
- Place butternut squash cubes in a blender or food processor and pulse until it becomes a rice like consistency, do not over process.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil, onion & red pepper flakes.
- Cook 2-3 minutes then add red bell pepper, garlic.
- Cook 5 minutes then add tomatoes, butternut squash rice, salt, pepper, chili powder & paprika and stir to combine the juices with all ingredients.
- After 5 minutes, add broth and the shrimp.
- Cook until the shrimp another 5 minutes until it turns translucent stirring occasionally to flip them
- Once the shrimp has is cooked & butternut squash has reached a rice consistency remove from heat, add parsley & enjoy!
Now, tell me I’m not the only one who does things on autopilot! What do you do without thinking about it?
Disclaimer – this post may contain affiliate links. Read more about my policies here. Thank you for your support!