Nutty Mint Chocolate Muffins! Bursting with rich dark cocoa, mint flavor & crunchy hazelnuts, these vegan muffins make mouthwatering mini desserts. A healthy way to satisfy a sweet tooth! Gluten Free + Vegan + Low Calorie!
It’s Monday & I’ve got Mint Chocolate Muffins for ya. Muffin Monday! Oh yes, bringing back an oldie but favorite I used to do here every week.
Pretty sure you’re not gonna complain about getting these Mint Chocolate Muffins, a mouthwatering dessert-like muffin in your face today ‘cuz these decadent gems are packed with whole grains, no refined oil or sugar, mint-y fresh flavors and crunchy hazelnuts. So many good tastes and flavors going on here I can hardly handle it.
Now before you tell me you don’t like mint, hear me out. Mint is amazing for those with digestive issues. It soothes the stomach, promotes healthy digestion, alleviates headaches, clears respiratory congestion and all around relaxing. One of my favorite herbs!
In fact, I drink peppermint tea every night before bed. It calms me down from the crazy of the day ‘cuz anxiety is always a thing for me. That anxiety causes my stomach to do flip flops. Mint is phenomenal for easing those things for me. A habit I’ve had for years that won’t be stopping anytime soon.
That said, mint can be overpowering to some palates which is why I only use a tiny-tiny amount. When paired with the proper foods, mint is much less overwhelming.
So what’s that perfect pairing?
Mint and hazelnut of course! They’re meant to be together. I remember the first time I brought these muffins to the office, my co-workers were blown away. One of them told me how much he hated mint, but with the hazelnuts he said it was perfection.
The flavors bounce off one another in your mouth like a food parade shooting candy in the sky. So while the mint is optional, it’s highly recommended. Give the mint a chance, and maybe someone will love you for that minty fresh breath. Haha…
Now let’s make Mint Chocolate Muffins!
Join my FREE VIP membership & get insider health tips!
Get my FREE eBOOK Achieve Your New Healthy Life, 8 Steps To Kickstart Active & Healthy Living + A BONUS discount when you join!
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp Gluten Free 1 to 1 baking flour
- ¼ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mint extract (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp mint chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a muffin pan with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, oil, salt, sugar, apple cider vinegar, mint and vanilla extract. Stir until sugar is blended well.
- In a smaller bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Then slowly incorporate into the liquid mixture stirring to combine.
- Fold optional hazelnuts and mint chips into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared muffin tin, dividing it evenly among 10 muffin cavities.
- Bake at 350 F for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick can be removed.
- Remove from oven, cool in the pan 3-4 minutes then transfer to a wire baking rack to cool.
- Drizzle the tops with melted chocolate if desired.
What I Used For The Recipe