Easy & healthy Mexican Quinoa Casserole! Made with black beans, chicken & array of vegetables, this is tasty dish is one the entire family will love! Gluten Free + Low Calorie!
Look no further for your favorite healthy Mexican recipe because I’m handing it to you today in the form of Mexican Quinoa Casserole!
If there’s one food I truly love, it’s Mexican. Actually, I worked in Mexico for two years crossing the border between Texas and Mexico. That was during 9/11 timeframe when border crossing was insane. Seriously, a two hour wait to get home at night. But those were the two best years of my life. So much fun and I experienced many new things included good food!
Instead of dealing with the insane border crossing line every night, we ate out in Mexico after work, and did other things to this day I have no idea how I survived. Haha! That’s a story for another day. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time eating delicious Mexican food!
But that food wasn’t always healthy. Tortillas, chips, fried. Oh, my! Good things in moderation but not all every night.
So today I’m showing you how Mexican can be done healthy and incredible flavor with this Mexican Quinoa Casserole. A dish the whole family is sure to love!
Even better, this Mexican dish is a nutrition powerhouse! It’s loaded with a rainbow of fresh vegetables because I don’t know about you, but I can always use more of those snuck into my food. Ground chicken for lean protein, quinoa for a healthy carbohydrate, and black beans!
The real star of the show are the black beans though. Not only are they high in protein, but also carbohydrates which are made up with a high amount of fiber. Why is fiber important? Well…let me tell you.
When I work with one-on-one clients who are trying to lose weight, I have many of them track their food. When I review their food, I notice most people aren’t eating enough fiber. High fiber diets are shown to help with weight loss and improve overall health. They’re an tasty, healthy and versatile addition to meals that we often forget about.
S&W Beans offers convenience for those who have limited time, but want to include healthier options in their meals.
I’ve been buying S&W Beans for years. Not only do they look great but they taste great too! Because we all know there’s no point in making food that doesn’t look or taste good. If you’ve been reading awhile, you know I can’t resist pretty food.
S&W Beans come in many varieties to choose from and even offer organic and 50% less sodium options. Sometimes I have trouble choosing. So many options!
Now through April S&W Beans is offering $1 off 2 cans of S&W Beans. Print your coupon from the S&W Beans here and make yourself some healthy Mexican tonight!
Join my FREE VIP membership & get insider health tips!
Get my FREE eBOOK Achieve Your New Healthy Life, 8 Steps To Kickstart Active & Healthy Living + A BONUS discount when you join!
- 1 lb. ground chicken, turkey or ground beef
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 15 oz. can S&W Black Beans 50% less salt
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp. red onion, sliced
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- optional toppings: Mexican cheese blend, avocado, cabbage or shredded lettuce, salsa, Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat. Add ground chicken, bell peppers, red onion, salt and seasonings. Stir to combine, breaking up the meat as it browns.
- Once browned, turn off the heat. Stir in the tomatoes with juices. Then stir in the black beans and uncooked quinoa. Not you will not need to add water for the quinoa as the juices from the meat, vegetables & tomatoes will be enough to cook it.
- Transfer the contents from the skillet into a 8x8 casserole dish.
- Bake in the oven at 350 F 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, serve immediately topping with cabbage, avocado, salsa, cheese & Greek yogurt as desired.
What I Used For The Recipe
How do you do Mexican? What’s your favorite way to eat black beans?