Insanely delicious Dark Chocolate Butternut Squash Bread lightened up and made gluten free with whole grains, Greek yogurt & applesauce. This creamy, low calorie bread is what a chocolate lover’s dreams are made of!
Monday! You came too soon. I need another weekend or two before I can deal with you. Okay, maybe I feel that way every week, but this week in particular I’m feeling all over the place. Good thing I have something sweetalicious to share with you! Between enrolling in school, dealing with financial aid, addressing legal stuff, applying for freelance work, studying for my CPT exam, blogging, cooking, etc, I’m feeling spread thin and it’s only one month into the new year. I’m beginning to question the goals I set for myself this year. To be honest, I’m feeling a lot conflicted right now. Not to mention, a big surprise popped up last week making this new journey of mine even more difficult.
I already had my set myself on a certain path and now I’m questioning that path. When bad things happen, I try to turn them around quickly by working toward something positive. You know…the whole make lemonade out of lemons thing? But sometimes those lemons aren’t really lemons. Now I’m trying to figure out what to do with a lemon that wasn’t really a lemon and how that fits in this new path.
Make sense? That’s okay. It doesn’t make sense to me either. Maybe I just need to multiply myself like that guy in that movie multiplicity. Haha, that could be crazy! If you’ve seen that movie, then you know what I mean.
I keep reminding myself I’m still figuring out how to balance this new world I’m in and that striking that balance will take some time. Just as it took time for me to lose weight and make healthy lifestyle changes (have you read my new book?). Those changes didn’t happen overnight and neither will finding my new balance. It’s hard giving yourself those little pep talks, but sometimes relating them to a major life event can bring you the perspective you need.
Why I am writing this deep stuff today? Because I’m guessing many of you, like me, are feeling conflicted about something right now. Something you started to pursue at the beginning of the year and are now questioning. SO I want you to give yourself a freaking break (myself included) and bake. Yes! I’m giving you a license to bake. Baking soothes the soul and I know for a fact this Dark Chocolate Butternut Squash Bread will take your mind off anything.
Want to know the best part? This insanely delicious bread is lightened up. So we get our balance! Made with pureed butternut squash, applesauce, Greek yogurt and whole grains, this cake-like Dark Chocolate Butternut Squash Bread oozes of creamy chocolate. And for those of you who think butternut squash is just for fall, all I have to say is more for me, less for you. Grab a a glass of milk, coffee, whatever and serve yourself a slice of this healthy, insanely delicious, low calorie bread!
- ½ cup butternut squash puree
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup Truvia baking blend
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1⅓ cup GF oat flour (whole wheat works too if not gluten sensitive)
- ⅔ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Prepare a loaf pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray
- In a standing mixer or bowl for hand mixer, add applesauce, Greek yogurt & coconut oil mix to combine
- Continue to combine, then mix in sugar
- Add eggs & almond milk mix until fluffy
- Add in butternut squash & almond extract & combine well
- Add sea salt, baking soda, baking powder & cocoa powder & mix to combine
- Slowly add oat flour to the batter while continuing to mix
- Add mini chips to the batter & fold in by hand reserving a few chips to sprinkle on top when finished
- Add batter to prepared loaf pan
- Bake 45-50 minutes until a toothpick can be removed clean
- Remove from the oven & allow to cool in the pan ~ 1 hour prior to removing & enjoying
For more of the ingredients & kitchen gadgets I use, visit my food shop
Do you have a goal you are questioning right now? How do you give yourself perspective and balance?
Linking up with Meatless Monday & MIMM
Linking up today with Amanada for Thinking Out Loud
Disclaimer – Affiliate links are included, which enable me to earn a small income and do not affect purchase price. Money earned goes back into my large grocery bill to bring you more delicious recipes!