Happy Sunday Friends! Hope you’ve been enjoying this gorgeous and HOT weekend. It was almost 90 degrees in Phoenix. Yikes! It’s too soon! Last weekend I was wearing winter clothes and this weekend I was in shorts. My Mom sent me a picture of her in the snow last weekend before church and it was hilarious to see all the snow. It’s hard to imagine being in that when it’s so hot here. Crazy weather!
My weekend has been relatively low-key, which was a nice change. My foot injury has consumed much of my focus and time these last 3 months. I forgot what my life was like before I injury. Now that I’m getting recovered (like a slow boat to china) I’m beginning to catch up life and things at home.
Speaking of recovery, I had an orthopedic appointment Friday. As my doctor says, “my foot is really ticked off at me” (he used another word which I chose to omit). He told me recovery is going to be slow. So I am continuing physical therapy another month and need to stretch multiple times per day. I haven’t been stretching more than once or twice a day. EEK! Honestly, I’ve never been a good stretcher, but I’m learning from my foot injury that stretching is more important as I age. My body has endured a lot of wear and tear.
This week was mentally difficult for me. I’m at the point in my recovery where I feel good (almost normal). I’ve been increasing the intensity of my workouts, but as I’ve done that pain and inflammation returns and my foot screams at me. My foot is telling me it needs more time to heal before I ramp it up more. It’s been a fine line figuring out what more my body can tolerate without over doing it. One day this week I showed up at physical therapy limping. My therapist told me to back off and let my body heal and he’s right. It’s easier said than done though when you’re not having constant pain. I’ve backed off and am now at day 5 of no pain. Crossing my fingers this trend will continue. I’m ready to be back hitting the pavement!
Here are my Sunday Funday picks this week.
1. 6 Reasons Women Should Lift Weights via Lifehack – I’ve always known that combining cardio & weight training maximizes fat burn and ultimately weight-loss. Something I learned from this article is that long cardio sessions can actually cause you to lose lean muscle. Yikes!
2. Elipey Organic Vegan Lip Balm – I discovered this at Whole Foods recently through their knowledgeable staff. I have very dry lips. That’s a side effect of living in the desert. This stuff though is by far the BEST lip balm I’ve ever bought. My lips are soft for hours and I like that it doesn’t have a distinct flavor or taste. Not close to a Whole Foods? You can order it online here.
3. ASICS Women’s Gel-Nimbus 15 Lite-Show Running Shoe – ASICS are the only athletic shoe you will find me hitting the pavement with. They are soft, light & provide tons of cushions to absorb shock while running or walking outdoors. I snagged these flashy ones at Finish Line last month and they’ve drawn a lot of attention. And of course….they’re pink. Would you expect to find me in any other color? 😉
4. Mint Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins – I baked a batch of this new recipe last weekend & brought them to work. Everyone is still raving about how good these are! They want to know when I’m bringing more. OMG…I think I just set a precedence!
5. 3 Stretches You Need to Do Every Day via Women’s Health – Admittedly I’ve never been a good stretcher, but my recent foot injury has taught me the important of stretching at the end of my workouts. As we age, our bodies experience “wear and tear” from repetitive physical activity. This article suggests 3 simple exercises to perform daily. I like the first one most since the majority of us hover over a computer screen all day.
6. The Busy Girl’s Guide: The Best Online Workouts via my friend Britt at My Own Balance. Britt offers several online workout options. I honestly had no idea this even existed until I read her post this week. This is an awesome fitness option for those who don’t have access to a gym, fitness equipment and too cold to go outside to get fit outdoors.
7. OneRepublic – I Lived – I’m loving this song lately. The lyrics inspire me to pursue my dreams & live my life to the fullest. Everyone needs that, right? This song has also been my motivation toward recovery.
What are you loving this Sunday? Are you running a race this weekend? Any fun St. Patty’s Day plans?